Tuesday, September 30, 2008

my grandfather's argus




I was never lucky enough to meet my dad's dad, Gene Hasson, but somehow I did get lucky enough to receive his legacy - the argus.


My grandad (or "Pup" as we lovingly call him) was a photographer in his own right, and I know that the reason I started shooting was because I wanted just to feel like I was connected to him. I wondered if perhaps his love for capturing light might have gotten passed on to me, just like the shape of his nose did.


My dad tells me how he remembers learning to shoot on this camera, and the way its ripened leather case felt in his hands. When he talks about it, I can see the love and respect for the medium that his dad instilled in him, and I understand why it's so important that I do what I do.

Did someone in your life help cultivate a love for something specific in you? I'd love to hear about it.

1 comment:

thatramongirl said...

sooo cool! did i read that ansel adams had one of these in his younger years? maybe not...my memory is so fuzzy...LOVE the picture...:) :) :) hope all is well and glowy in Virginia...i miss it!